1. The sandal tree, also known as Chandana, White sandal in India, is botanical name Santalum album. Sandal is capable of growing in different kinds of soils, even in shallow rocky soils, but cannot stand waterlogging. It can tolerate very high temperatures. The plant is highly succeptible to browsing and fire.
2. SEEDS : About 6,000 seeds weigh to a kilogram.
3. PRETREATMENT OF SEEDS : Seeds are soaking in water 24 hours
4. NURSERY TECHNIQUE : Pretreated seeds sowing to mother bed and covered with straw which is removed when the seedlings emerge .When seedlings attain 4 to 6 leaf stage, they are transplanted into polythene bags, along with seeds of a primary host tree Cajanus cajan or any other host.
5. Germination percentage : 60 -70 % .
6. Germoination time : 15 to 21 days