Ridge gourd is an important Indian vegetable crop and can be grown throughout the year. Ridge gourd belongs to the Cucurbitaceae family. Thrives very well in warm and hot climates. Idea temperature range is 25 to 35°C.
1. There is a high content of dietary fiber and very low saturated fat. It is good for people who want to lose weight.
2. Ridge gourd juice is consumed as a remedy for jaundice. It is rich in Vitamin C, thiamin and riboflavin.
3. It also contains magnesium, iron, and manganese.
4. It helps purify the blood, strengthens the functioning of the liver, and provides relief from intoxication.
5. It contains peptides that help regulate blood glucose levels.
6. Ridge gourd leaves are used for curing diabetes and conjunctivitis. The juice from the leaves is applied as an ointment for treating all types of skin diseases.
Dark green-colored fruits.
First picking in 55 to 60 days.
Average length – 40 to 45cms.
Average weight – 200 to 250 grams.