RK Seeds - Bamboo Seeds, Male Bamboo, Solid Bamboo, Calcutta Bamboo, Dendrocalamus seeds, Dendrocalamus strictus, Hard bamboo, Iron bamboo, Stone bamboo
1) Dendrocalamus strictus also known as Male Bamboo, Solid Bamboo OR Calcutta. This bamboo is extensively used as a Raw Material in Paper Mills and also for a variety of purposes such as Light Construction, Furniture, Musical Instruments, Bamboo boards, Mats, Sticks, Agricultural Implements, Rafts, Baskets, Woven Wares Furniture, Poles For Construction, Ladders and Household utensils, Leaves are used as FORAGE.
2) SEED: - PRETREATMENT OF SEEDS: The seed is soaked in water for 12 hours
Germination percentage : 90 to 95 %,
Time for germination in days: 10 to 12 days
3) NURSERY TECHNIQUES: Pre-treated seed broadcast on the raised beds. A layer of husk is covered over the bed. Germination is seen after 10 days. After 4 weeks, the seedling is transplanted into polythene bags
4) SOIL TYPE: It prefers well-drained soil of any type, growing gregariously on hill slopes. In DRY AND POOR SOILS, the clumps are smaller and solid whereas, in fertile soils, they reach bigger dimensions and are hollow. This is a drought-hardy species.
5) Distribution: Found throughout India, especially in the drier tracts. Grows well in the plains and in the foothills.
PIT SIZE & TREATMENT: 45 X 45 X 45 cm cubical pits, to be half filled and kept exposed to the sun for top soil sterilization for about a month.
SPACING: Spacing of 5 X 5 m for shoot production and 6 X 6M for timber