RK Seeds - Acrocarpus Fraxinifolius, Pink Cedar Tree Seeds
1. Acrocarpus fraxinifolius commonly known as Pink cedar is one of the largest and fast-growing timber trees in India thriving in areas of heavy rainfall.
2. Acrocarpus fraxinifolius is a large tree reaching 60 m. The bole is often buttressed but then a long straight trunk.
3. It is an evergreen tree except in areas with a marked dry season.
4. BARK: pale grey and smooth, trunk and branches bear leaf scars.
5. LEAVES: large compound in distinctive fan shapes to 1 m, young red leaves look like blossoms, leaflets oval, wavy, and pointed to 14 cm.
6. FLOWERS: appear on the tree when it is leafless, up to 20 dense heads hang down from branch ends, each 12 cm long, dripping nectar from the red-green flowers, short-lived.
7. FRUIT: big bunches of dark brown pods persist on the tree. They split easily to release the seed
8. No. of seeds per kg: 24,000-29,000
9. Germination period: 10-30 days after good pre-treatment.
10. Pre-treatment of the Seeds: soak seed in hot water and allow to cool for hours.
11. Uses: Firewood, timber (furniture, tea boxes), roof shingle beehives, bee forage, shade, ornamental, mulch, windbreak.