RK Seeds - Acrocarpus Fraxinifolius, Pink Cedar Tree Seeds
1. Acrocarpus fraxinifolius commonly known as Pink cedar is one of the largest and fast growing timber trees in India thriving in areas of heavy rainfall.
2. Acrocarpus fraxinifolius is a large tree reaching 60 m. The bole is often buttressed but then a long straight trunk.
3. It is an evergreen tree except in areas with a marked dry season.
4. BARK: pale grey and smooth, trunk and branches bear leaf scars.
5. LEAVES: large compound in distinctive fan shapes to 1 m, young red leaves look like blossoms, leaflets oval, wavy and pointed to 14 cm.
6. FLOWERS: appear on the tree when it is leafless, up to 20 dense heads hang down from branch ends, each 12 cm long, dripping nectar from the red-green flowers, short lived.
7. FRUIT: big bunches of dark brown pods persist on the tree. They split easily to release seed
8. No. of seeds per kg: 24,000-29,000
9. Germination period : 10-30 days after good pre-treatment.
10. Pre-treatment of the Seeds : soak seed in hot water and allow to cool for hours.
11. Uses: Firewood, timber (furniture, tea boxes), roof shingle beehives, bee forage, shade, ornamental, mulch, windbreak.